Sunday, October 31, 2010

We all scream for dilly beans!

When I lived in the Harrisburg area, my friends Becky and Julie participated in an annual canning ritual.  This included making dilly beans, which I found myself coveting and even begging for.  They did share, of course, and when I had a jar I would savor every dill-icious bite.  For years since, I have been thinking of these delicious beans.  This has prompted me to purchase many $5+  jars of similar beans, none of which have satisfied my craving.

Finally, in my recent canning spree, I made my own.  I had just gotten a book, Back to Basics: Traditional Kitchen Wisdom, which included a recipe that seemed like it might be close to the flavors I remembered.   It was difficult, but we let them cure for 2 weeks after canning.  This past week, we finally opened a jar and MAN, they are awesome!  Just like the ones I remember—crunchy, dilly, garlicky, with a hint of hotness.  Sam and Ethan ate nearly the whole jar.

Here's the recipe I used:

From Back to Basics: Traditional Kitchen Wisdom, Andrea Chessman, ed.
Makes 4 pint jars (so, in the words of Johnny Cochran's Granny, "If you are going through the trouble, make it double.")

2 lbs. beans (I used green and yellow), trimmed
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 garlic cloves
4 fresh dill heads (I just used dill weed without heads)
1/4 cup pickling salt
2 1/2 cups white vinegar
2 1/2 cups water

Pack the beans, lengthwise into hot, sterilized jars, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.  To each jar, add 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes, 1 clove of garlic, and 1 head (or small bunch) of dill.

Combine the remaining ingredients together in a pan and bring to a boil.

Pour boiling hot brine over the beans, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.  Remove air bubbles with a chopstick.  Wipe rims and seal caps.

Process for 5 minutes in a boiling-water bath.

No comments:

Post a Comment