Friday, October 22, 2010

Raspberry Palooza

Putting up locally grown foods for the winter has been a secret goal of mine for a while, but other than the usual applesauce it has been pretty back-burner. Last year, Jim (in one of his memorable trades) procured an upright freezer. This, along with a vacuum sealer my mother-in-law bought me, has inspired me to do a little more this year.


In September, I picked red raspberries at Paul Mazza's in Colchester.  Picking berries on a sunny, brisk fall day is truly a zen experience.  I did not have one single outside thought the whole time I was picking. I was just contentedly in the moment—finding the ripest, most delicious berries and one-by-one adding them to the my baskets.  I just had to go back again...twice, in fact. In total, I brought home around 24 quarts of delicious berries which I froze, made into sorbet, cake, and many...many jars of jam.



The jam recipe below is quick and easy.  It makes a loose, not overly sweet jam that is great on toast or drizzled over vanilla ice cream.




Not-too-Sweet Raspberry Jam
Makes about 8 half-pint jars



















16 cups raspberries
2 1/2 tsp. Pomona's Universal Pectin
5 1/2 cups sugar
2 1/2 tsp. calcium water (included in pectin package)

Run half the berries through a food mill to remove seeds.  Add pulp and remaining whole berries to a large saucepan and bring to a boil over low heat. Meanwhile, combine pectin and sugar and set aside. When the berries boil, stir in the calcium water then the sugar-pectin mixture.

Return to a boil, then remove the pan from heat and let it rest for 5 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.  Skim foam.

If canning, ladle into jars while the mixture is still hot, leaving 1/4" headspace. Process in for 10 minutes then turn off the burner and leave the jars sitting in the water for 5 more minutes.   I assume this can also be frozen.




Adapted from a recipe for "Quick Raspberry Jam" in Put 'em Up by Sherri Brooks Vinton, 2010.

No comments:

Post a Comment