Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Elegant Apps

NOTE: I actually wrote this post in May/June, which was appetizer season for me.

Lately, I have really been into eating and making appetizers. This is probably for many reasons.  First, I have always liked tiny food. The marketing gurus who came up with the idea of miniaturizing products have made some serious cash from me. Tiny crackers, tiny vegetables. Everything tastes better when it is petit. Second, I generally prefer eating a lot of different foods to having a big dish of one thing. I love the increasing number of restaurants where you can get small plates and tapas are muy delicioso! We even served apps in lieu of a wedding dinner at our reception.  Lastly, I have been more mindful of my food intake in the last several months and apps are a great way to have the joy of these often-high-fat favorites without forsaking health totally.

These are some of the appetizers that I think are worth trying. I am happy to provide recipes to anyone interested. And, I would love to know what your go-to apps are.

  • asparagus wrapped in prosciutto
  • bite-sized crab cakes with dilled hollandaise (or wasabi aioli)
  • beef bulgogi lettuce wraps
  • buffalo chicken mini meatballs
  • warmed brie with fig preserves and crispy pink lady apples
  • tomato, mozzarella and basil bites
  • creamed cheese and hot pepper jelly with crackers
  • lobster salad in small endive leaves
  • bell pepper strips and Boursin wrapped in filet mignon
  • mini empanadas with chicken, olives and currants


Potato pancakes with Smoked Trout. Pic from MyRecipes.com (of course, I forgot to photo mine)
Last weekend, two of my brothers, Chris and Tom, came over for dinner with their spouses Linne and Therese. Most of you know that I have a very large family. When we get together, even just part of the family, it is a large and loud party. So, it was nice to get together in a smaller group where we could talk for more than a minute or two and hear each other without screaming. I opted for a light and healthy dinner followed by a simple dessert and went heavy on the apps.

The most-enjoyed of the three apps I made were mini celeriac/apple/potato pancakes with horseradish creme fraiche and smoked trout. Quite delicious and definitely worthy to serve at an elegant cocktail party. The recipe is adapted from one at epicurious.com, which actually used smoked salmon (click here to check it out).

Mini Latkes with Horseradish Creme Fraiche and Smoked Trout
Makes 20-25 Pancakes
Enough for 6-8 people


1 pound russet potatoes (1 large), peeled, grated
1 medium onion, peeled, grated
1 2-inch cube peeled celeriac, grated
1 medium Granny Smith apple (unpeeled), grated
1 large egg
3/4 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. ground black pepper
1/4 cup corn starch (or flour)
Vegetable oil (for frying)

GARNISH
1/3 cup crème fraîche (or sour cream)
2 tsp. drained prepared white horseradish
8 ounces smoked trout
Chopped fresh chives
(Capers would also go well in lieu of chives)

Line a medium bowl with a kitchen towel. Transfer potato, celeriac, apple, and onion mixture to towel. Gather towel tightly around potato mixture and squeeze out as much liquid as possible into bowl; discard liquid. Place potato mixture, egg, salt and pepper in same bowl; toss to blend. Mix in corn starch.

Heat oil in heavy skillet over medium-high heat. Form pancakes into desired size. I made them the size of a small meatball. Add to pan and flatten with spatula (they should be about 2" in diameter). Fry until cooked through and crisp, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer pancakes to paper towel line plate and cool a little before assembling so the creme doesn't melt.

Mix crème fraîche and horseradish in small bowl. Garnish pancakes with dollop of horseradish cream and a piece of smoked trout. Sprinkle with chives and serve.

NOTES: 
I made the pancakes earlier in the day and kept on paper towels at room temp. Reheated at 375° for 15 minutes to crisp them up again before serving.

I did not feel you could taste the celeriac and enough to warrant the cost and effort. I think next time I would omit it and double the apples. A little celery seed would probably add more celery flavor than the celeriac did.

No comments:

Post a Comment