Saturday, April 9, 2011

Sam Demands the "Sooshy"


Years ago in State College, I made a set of the little sauce cups shown above.
One of the few things I kept for myself.

Time to make the maki! My kids really love sushi rolls, especially California Rolls. In beginning of first grade, the kids in Sam's class were asked about their favorite foods. Much to the delight of his teacher, Sam wrote, "I love sooshy." His and Ethan's idea of a good date with mom is miso soup and sushi followed by a trip to the candy store for a small bit of mix-your-own sweets. Sushi is just so healthy, I somehow can justify the candy that follows.

My friend Michele turned me on to sushi years ago when we worked together in Harrisburg and also taught me to make maki (sushi rolls). Occasionally, I still make sushi rolls at home, but not so often anymore since you can buy it everywhere now...even in Vermont! Last week, Sam specifically asked if we could make some together. Honestly, who is going to refuse a kids who wants to cook with you? So, I picked up some smoked roasted salmon and some lump crabmeat from Costco and we made some yummy rolls together.

We made two combos: crab and avocado, and smoked salmon and cucumber. We also added some veggie cream cheese to some of the salmon rolls—which I must say, was my favorite despite that my purist tendencies lead me to distrust it as an acceptable combination. But then again, I love spicy tuna rolls, which I believe have some kind of spicy mayonnaise atop them. So much for being a purist.

If fish isn't your thing, try filling your maki with veggies like cucumber, shredded carrots, daikon radish, wilted spinach, or scallions. Tofu marinated in teriyaki sauce also makes a tasty flesh-free roll.

If you have never made sushi rolls at home you should buy a sushi mat. These, along with the  specialty ingredients like wasabi and sushi rice, are available at most supermarkets. I wrap my mat in cellophane to keep the rice from sticking to it. You could use a piece of waxed paper in place of the mat.


Sushi Rolls (Maki)
Makes 8 rolls (1-2 rolls per person)

3 cups sushi, or other short-grained rice
3 Tbs. rice vinegar
1 1/2 Tbs. sugar
8 sheets of sushi nori
Toasted sesame seeds

Filling ingredients
Smoked Salmon (about 8-10 oz. for 8 rolls)
Cucumber, deseeded, cut into long 1/2" thick strips (1 cucumber is enough for 8 rolls)
Creamed cheese (about 4 oz. for 8 rolls), optional

OR

Crab meat, picked over (about 10-12 oz. for 8 rolls)
Avocado, peeled and cut into strips (8 rolls will take about 1 1/2 avocados)


Cook the rice. Combine the rice vinegar and sugar in a large bowl. Add the hot rice, stirring well.

To make a reverse roll (i.e., the rice on the outside): Place a sheet of nori on your mat. Place about 1 to 1 1/2 cups of warm rice on the nori and spread it evenly over the whole sheet using your hands (I wear a plastic bag over my hands to keep the rice from sticking. 

Sprinkle the rice with sesame seeds. Turn the nori over so the rice side is facing down. 

Place fillings in a strip across the nori about 1" from the bottom. You can include a little rice to help "glue" your fillings in place if needed.

Roll the nori from the bottom, using the mat to help you make a tight roll. Repeat these steps until you have the desired number of sushi rolls. 

Slice each roll into 6-8 pieces, using a serrated knife with a wetted blade. Serve rolls at room temperature with wasabi paste, soy sauce, and pickled ginger.
Need to see what I am describing above? Check out SushiNow.

No comments:

Post a Comment